Canadian co-production treaties: Co-producing with Canada

Canadian co-production treaties.

Every year, Canada participates in more than 60 coproductions governed by an official treaty, totaling a production volume of approximately 500 millions dollars. A third of these productions are feature films and the rest are television productions.

What is an audiovisual co-production governed by a treaty?

A film or television production, produced jointly by a Canadian producer and a producer from a foreign country which is made in accordance with audiovisual co-production treaty between partner countries.

canadian co-production treaties

What does Canada have to offer?

Aside from the treaties or agreement currently in force with 54 partners from all over the world, Canada offers a large pool of creators and technicians whose reputation is recognized worldwide.

an infinite number of places and landscapes covering a vast area of almost 10 million square kilometres and the opportunity to work in two languages, French and English.

Public funding: audiovisual co-productions enjoy national status in each treaty country. This allows Canadian partner to apply for federal and provincial tax credits (automatic funding) as well as to the Canada Feature Film Fund, the France-Canada mini-treaties and the Canada Media Fund (selective funding).

What requirements must be fulfilled?

As a rule, and subject to the provisions of each treaty the following elements are required:

  • Being an eligible producer in a country that has signed an audiovisual coproduction treaty with Canada.
  • A minimum contribution per country (of 15% to 30%).
  • Financial, creative, and technical contribution and the level of expenditure must all be in proportion (i.e. if the project is 40% Canadian, it is expected that 40% of the budget be spent in Canada).
  • All personnel hired to work on an official coproduction must come from the coproducing countries, and shooting and postproduction of the project must be carried out in coproducing countries.
  • Subject to the approval of administrative authorities, most of the treaties allow for non coproducing country actor(s) and foreign location shooting when the script so requires.

How can I coproduce outside of the audiovisual treaty coproduction framework?

Two other possibilities are available if you wish to establish a partnership with Canada :

  • Co-ventures (audiovisual coproductions without treaty) This type of audiovisual coproduction must be certified by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).
  • Film or Video Production Services Tax Credit (PSTC) (location, service delivery). PSTC is co-administered by the Canadian Audio Visual Certification Office (CAVCO) and the Canada Revenue Agency.

How can I find a Canadian partner?

Consult  TELEFILM.CA, where you will find:

  • The list of associations of Canadian producers (CMPA and AQPM) and provincial organizations offering tax credits.
  • A list of Canadian companies that have already coproduced.
  • Information about companies present at major international events.

canadian co-production treaties


Dandi Law Firm provides legal assistance in Copyright and Film. Check out our Services or contact Us!

I specialize in intellectual property creation, protection and exploitation

Site Footer